By comparing Colombia with the five other major energy producers in Latin America and the Caribbean – Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Venezuela – you can discover the following interesting facts:
- Colombia is, in relative terms, the largest exporter of primary energy
- It exports 95% of the coal produced.
- It exports 66% of the oil produced
- Coal makes up 46% of primary energy production and oil makes up 40%
- Colombia has the cleanest power generation mix
- Hydroelectric generation is 76% of the total compared with 75% in Brazil
- The second source generated electricity is gas, which is 14% in Colombia compared with 8% in Brazil
- The remaining polluting heat sources represent 9% in Colombia compared with 13% in Brazil
- Colombia is the most energy efficient country in terms of consumption measured both per capita and per unit of product. To find out more interesting energy data or compare the energy mix of different countries, visit the IDB Energy Database.