Belize has been described by many as a country with one foot in Central America, and one foot in the Caribbean. This unique nation, rich in natural resources, shares several comparative advantages and development challenges with its neighbors in both regions. Since 1992, when Belize joined the IDB, we have been working in close partnership with the people of Belize to overcome some of the obstacles to prosperity. A strong public engagement strategy and compelling narratives are powerful tools to achieve it.
We are looking for a communications consultant to join our team in the IDB’s Country Office in Belize. If selected, you will provide strategic and technical advice to spread the word about our work, values, and projects. You will support the IDB’s work with the Belizean civil society and will help develop our diversity and inclusion agenda.
If you are passionate about development, come and work with us in supporting the Government of Belize to improve public expenditure efficiency and effectiveness, as well as to promote private sector development and to foster sustainable, export-led growth. Relying upon US$19.4 million in financing for Belize which was approved by the IDB Group during 2018, we are developing a very interesting portfolio in the country.
For example, we are supporting the design of a laboratory school to promote careers in STEM, with a focus on information technologies. We are testing the use of drones to oversee infrastructure projects like the George Price Highway. We are working with the Belize Sugar Company to increase the value added of sugar production. We are partnering to expand Belize’s export markets, most notably with the Belize Shrimp Grower Association to improve sustainable shrimp production.
Those are just a few examples of the projects you will help to highlight, shaping the conversation about the impact we have on our four priority areas of work in the country: education, tourism, transport, and finally trade and tax policy.
What will you do as an IDB communications consultant?
- Implement the IDB’s Communication Strategy and promote its corporate image, finding appealing ways to share our work in the country
- Liaise with the Belizean Government, the private sector and international donors (multilateral and bilateral agencies, embassies, etc.), our partners in Belize
- Support our work and relationships with organizations from the civil society
What do you need to join us?
- Be a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- Have a Master’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience in communications, marketing, international development or related field, preferably with emphasis on media relations and journalism.
- Have at least five years of relevant work experience, preferably in designing and implementing communication and media strategies in Belize or other English-speaking Caribbean countries.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills in English; fluency in Spanish is an asset.
What else are we looking for?
- A communicator able to concisely and accurately convey information, both written and verbal, tailored appropriately to audiences and to all levels of seniority.
- Capacity to translate strategic goals and priorities into realistic and flexible plans and programs, optimizing the use of resources, and monitoring implementation.
- A professional who acts independently and resourcefully in response to work demands, with the ability to meet organizational goals and client expectations by producing high-quality results.
The IDB is devoted to improving lives in Latin America and the Caribbean, and an important part of the IDB’s commitment to the Americas is listening to the citizens of the region and to share with them what we do and why. Let’s do it together. Apply here before June 25th 2019 and join the IDB team in Belize.