Belize has been described by many as a country with one foot in Central America, and one foot in the Caribbean. This unique nation, rich in natural resources, shares several comparative advantages and development challenges with its neighbors in both regions. Since 1992, when Belize joined the IDB, we have been working in close partnership with the people of Belize to overcome some of the obstacles to prosperity. A strong public engagement strategy and compelling narratives are powerful tools to achieve it.
We are looking for a communications consultant to join our team in the IDB’s Country Office in Belize. If selected, you will provide strategic and technical advice to spread the word about our work, values, and projects. You will support the IDB’s work with the Belizean civil society and will help develop our diversity and inclusion agenda.
If you are passionate about development, come and work with us in supporting the Government of Belize to improve economic recovery, with an emphasis on private-sector development, sustainable livelihoods in the agricultural and tourism sectors, investment facilitation, and digital innovation.
For example, we are supporting Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises to increase their incomes and promote sustainable livelihoods in the agriculture and tourism sectors. We are stimulating the digitization of businesses and public services to foster growth and boost economic efficiency. And we are promoting Belize’s foreign direct investment and trade performance.
Those are just a few examples of the projects you will help to highlight, shaping the conversation about the impact we have on our four priority areas of work in the country.
What will you do as an IDB communications consultant?
- Implement the IDB’s Communication Strategy and promote its corporate image, finding appealing ways to share our work in the country
- Liaise with the Belizean Government, the private sector and international donors (multilateral and bilateral agencies, embassies, etc.), our partners in Belize
- Support our work and relationships with organizations from the civil society
What do you need to join us?
- Be a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- Have a Master’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience in communications, marketing, international development, or a related field, preferably with an emphasis on media relations and journalism.
- Have at least five years of relevant work experience, preferably in designing and implementing communication and media strategies in communication agencies, public relations, or communication offices of international entities.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills in English, preferably also in Spanish
What else are we looking for?
- A communicator able to concisely and accurately convey information, both written and verbal, tailored appropriately to audiences and to all levels of seniority.
- Capacity to translate strategic goals and priorities into realistic and flexible plans and programs, optimizing the use of resources, and monitoring implementation.
- A professional who acts independently and resourcefully in response to work demands, with the ability to meet organizational goals and client expectations by producing high-quality results.
The IDB is devoted to improving lives in Latin America and the Caribbean, and an important part of the IDB’s commitment to the Americas is listening to the citizens of the region and to share with them what we do and why. Let’s do it together. You can apply here: