The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) invites companies that are developing renewable energy projects in Latin America and/or the Caribbean to apply for support for project development needs.
All proposals shall be submitted through the Sustainable Energy Marketplace a web platform maintained by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). In order to submit proposals, Companies must register and submit their project proposals on the Sustainable Energy Marketplace by no later than March 1, 2016 11:59 PM EST.
All projects will be evaluated by an IDB technical team based on the evaluation criteria specified below. The IDB will select a number of projects which will receive technical assistance provided by specialized consulting firm selected by the IDB. The technical assistance may consist of studies on social, environmental, financial, technical and economic feasibility or due diligence, legal structuring or other issues related to advancing the project. The technical assistance provided per project will total a maximum of US$50,000.
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
- Types of Projects: The projects must be related to renewable energy including the following: A) Renewable energy projects connected to the network including major projects that claim to sell power to the grid or projects that use energy at the site of generation (self-supply). B) Access to modern energy services projects including access to electricity from renewable or hybrid off-grid (mini-grids, isolated systems, or other systems), and energy efficient cook stoves.
- Technologies: The projects must use commercially proven technology.
- Size: Eligible projects must have a minimum total cost of US$250,000.
- State of progress: Projects will be evaluated based on their progress and needs, which should be reflected in the Project Profile under that specific User Profile on the Sustainable Energy Marketplace. Additionally, the projects must meet a minimum of two of the following qualifications: A) The project has a completed pre-feasibility study. B) The project has a feasibility study already completed or in progress (which should include a financial model and a model of energy production). C) The project owner has access and rights to use the land required for construction and operation. D) The project has some of the necessary environmental and social studies and/or permitting requirements completed and in compliance with IDB policies and applicable local regulations. E) If the project is grid-connected, the project owner has advanced the interconnection permits process. F) If the project is for energy sale to a third party, the project owner has identified a buyer or buyers and/or a power purchase agreement (PPA) has been drafted or signed.
- Project location. The project must be implemented in an IDB borrowing member country. Development companies must be from a country that is a member of the IDB. Preference will be given to development companies from borrowing member countries.
How to register your project for the Call for Proposals?
For the project to be considered by the IDB team, the project owner must submit the project application through on the following websites of the Sustainable Energy Marketplace:
- http://latinamerica.marketplace.irena.org/ for projects to be implemented in a country in a borrowing member in Latin America
- http://caribbean.marketplace.irena.org/ for projects to be implemented in a country in a borrowing member in the Caribbean)
The websites of the Sustainable Energy Marketplace are maintained by IRENA and are governed by these terms and conditions.
Submitting by the deadline will require that:
- A User Profile is created in the Sustainable Energy Marketplace,
- A Project Profile is created under the User Profile referred to above. The Project Profile must include the title “IDB Grant Application – March 2016” in the field box “Project level facilitation needs.” Information in this field is only visible to the administrators.
- An email is sent to Bidenergia@iadb.org containing the link to the Project Profile.
The registration form includes mandatory and optional information. Project developers are encouraged to submit the most comprehensive information possible. For any issues with the platform when creating a user profile or project profile, please contact Chris Sewell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration of a project on the Sustainable Energy Marketplace shall not entail any responsibility or liability of IDB or IRENA for any content posted or uploaded by the project developer on the Sustainable Energy Market Place, and for any transactions or agreements entered into by the project developer through or as a result of the use of the Sustainable Energy Market Place. Any decision related to this Call for Proposals shall be at the sole discretion of IDB, and IDB has no obligation to provide any funding or other support whatsoever. More information about how to submit projects in the Caribbean is available here and for projects in Latin America it is here.